I don’t know about you, but I simply LOVE going to the Olive Garden and having the stuffed mushrooms (ok, that’s another post), the salad, and grilled shrimp caprese. It makes my life complete! Anyway, as I have been learning to cook in a more healthy way, I’ve found that some of the things I love to eat, don’t fit into my “new” and healthy lifestyle.
What to do?
Well, I decided to try and jazz up some of my favorite recipes and keep the flavor of the originals. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn’t. In the case of Grilled Shrimp Caprese — it definitely works!
Here’s my recipe ~ my secret twist is adding a little lemon pepper to the shrimp while they are cooking. This gives the shrimp some flavor to add to the rest of the dish. I hope you like it as much as I do!
GRILLED SHRIMP CAPRESE
1 1/2 lbs Roma tomatoes, cored and cut into 1 inch pieces
20 medium fresh basil leaves, stems removed and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 tbs garlic, minced
1 tsp italian seasoning (you can omit is you don’t like this, sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t)
salt to taste
2 tbs butter
1/2 cup white wine
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup parmesan cheese, grated (you can also use pecorino romano, it tastes just as good)
1 lb angel hair pasta, cooked
1 cups mozarella cheese, shredded
2 tbs lemon pepper
1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Combine tomatoes, basil, olive oil, garlic, italian seasoning and salt in a large bowl and blend thoroughly. Cover and set aside and marinate for at least 1 hour.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add butter and let melt. Stir in white wine and bring to a boil. Add heavy cream and parmesan cheese and bring to a simmer. Let sauce reduce to desired consistency. Add cooked drained pasta and marinate tomatoes to skillet. Stir to coat pasta with sauce. Transfer to serving platter and top with mozzarella cheese.
4. Sprinkle shrimp with lemon pepper and saute shrimp until cooked through.
5. Place serving platter in broiler for 2 minutes until cheese melts.
6. Top with shrimp and serve.